- Decide within which department you want to research.
- Select that department from the sidebar on the left.
- Carefully study the faculty members and their research areas. Click on their names and view their BYU profiles for more information!
- Choose a faculty member whose research is most appealing to you.
- Make sure you have completed the pre-requisite classes required to work in with your chosen faculty member.
- The best time to meet with a faculty member regarding mentored research is at the beginning of winter semester (Feb-Mar). By that time they should know when and if a position will be available for you. Schedule a time to meet them.
- Be proactive in investing time in studying the faculty’s research, journal articles,etc., and be prepared to ask questions and comment on his/her research
- If the faculty member asks, be prepared to answer whether you want to do research for employment or for credit.
- Mentored research sections usually require faculty permission and are marked “S”. You will need a permission-to-add code from the faculty member in order to register for their research section.
- Remember, for every 1 credit you wish to earn please plan on spending at least 3 hours per week in a semester or 6 hours per week in a term of work in the research lab. Have Fun!