Alisha (Hayden) Redelfs is a Brigham Young University alumni, earning her Master of Public Health from BYU in 2010. She completed her Doctor of Public Health (DrPH) in Health Promotion and Behavioral Sciences from the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston - School of Public Health in 2013. Dr. Redelfs' previous work as Deputy Director for Research and Evaluation for the Paso del Norte Institute for Healthy Living at the University of Texas at El Paso centered on utilization-focused evaluation, program planning, and communicating complexity in a simplified manner within a community context. As a translational scientist intent on making best practices in health accessible and available to all communities, Dr. Redelfs is developing partnerships and provides support to community organizations that will to lead to greater behavior change and improved health in Utah County and the surrounding region.
Research InterestsDr. Redelfs' research often involves the application of devices typically only available to researchers for the improvement and enhancement of community interventions. One example is using the VEGGIE METER(R) - a device that objectively measures changes in fruit and vegetable intake - as a motivational tool to positively influence behavior change. Additional areas of interest include data visualization, behavioral theory, LatinX health disparities, physical activity, and sedentary behavior, as well as the prevention and treatment of obesity.
Teaching InterestsDr. Redelfs is currently teaching courses in health communications and advocacy as well as research methods.
- DrPH, Health Promotion & Behavioral Sciences , Leadership & Quantitative Analysis, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, School of Public Health (2013)
- MPH, , Brigham Young University (2010)
- BS, Biology, Chemistry , Rocky Mountain College (2003)
- AS, Biology , Snow College (2001)
Licenses and Certifications
- National Commission for Health Education Credentialing (NCHEC), Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) (2010 - Present)
- Idaho Hospital Association, Certified Medical Interpreter (2007 - Present)
Honors and Awards
- Snow Distinguished Alumni: 40 Under Forty, Snow College (2014 - 2014)
- American Evaluation Association (AEA) (2017 - Present)
- The Obesity Society (2014 - Present)
- Society for Public Health Education (SOPHE) (2010 - Present)
- Committee/Council Member, The Obesity Society (2021 - Present)
- Editorial Review Board Member, Nutrition & Diabetes (2019 - Present)