My research focus is on metabolic pathways impacted by changes in energy supply and demands. Factors that contribute to insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes are most often a result of a mismatch between metabolic fuel supply (the food energy that we eat) and metabolic fuel demands (the food and stored energy that we burn through activity). We study energy metabolism and factors contributing to the development of insulin resistance using nutritional, exercise and pharmaceutical approaches.
Our general research objectives include the following:
• Understand mechanisms by which lifestyle and other factors contribute to the development of insulin resistance.
• Investigate the effects of different bioactive compounds on glucose management and energy metabolism.
• Explore mechanisms by which various bioactive compounds impact glucose management and energy metabolism.
This research is vitally important to gain a better understanding of the metabolic problems that underpin many chronic diseases impacted by insulin resistance. We expect our work can lead to improved prevention and therapy for diabetes and related disease conditions.
Recent projects of interest include:
• A study looking at the effect of dietary selenium and/or increased isoflavones on insulin resistance and baseline glucose management.
• A study examining the effect of caloric restriction on mitochondrial content.
• A study examining the effect of iron deficiency and specific enzymatic responses to this energy challenge.
• A study examining the effect of high fat diets as well as the activation of a critical enzyme involved in energy sensing (AMPK) on muscle mitochondrial content and capacity.
• A study looking at the effect of high fat diets and activating AMPK on liver fat accumulation.
Current projects of interest include:
• Examining a potential role of cellular iron dysregulation and insulin resistance.
• Exploring the effects of specific bioactive compounds on muscle and hepatic iron metabolism.
• We are examining the possibility that some anti-diabetic therapies may be effective at reducing unwanted toxicities associated with certain chemotherapeutic treatments.
• Exploring the impact of different dietary bioactive compounds on mitochondrial function and the generation of reactive oxygen species.
Honors and Awards
APS Publications 2015 Star Reviewer, American Physiological Society
(2015 - 2016)
American College of Sports Medicine
American Diabetes Association (2008 - Present)
The American Physiological Society (2008 - Present)
Editorial Review Board Member, American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism (2008 - Present)
Other, International Journal of Molecular Sciences (2019 - 2021)
Grant Proposal Reviewer, External, NIH (2015 - 2015)
Erik MarchantNathan MarchantRobert HyldahlJayson R GiffordMichael SmithChad HancockAmy D MackayErik D MarchantMakensie LouwDavid M ThomsonChad R HancockErik D. MarchantNathan D. MarchantWeston S. ElisonJacob A. HerringHaokun YangJeffery S TessemChad R HancockNathan D. MarchantErik D. MarchantWeston S. ElisonJacob A. HerringHaokun YangJeffery S TessemChad R HancockM R DeyhleM CarlisleJ R SorensenP S HafenK JespersonM AhmadiChad R HancockRobert Douglas HyldahlJ KohChad R HancockD H HanJ O HolloszyK S NairS DasariA D MackayE D MarchantD J MunkRichard Kent WattJason Merrell HansenDavid Morley ThomsonChad R HancockK. B. KenerD. J. MunkChad R HancockJeffery S TessemD. J. TuellerJ. S. HarleyChad R HancockJ. H. KohChad R HancockS. TeradaK. HigashidaJ. O. HolloszyD. H. HanM S ReynoldsChad R HancockJ D RayK B KenerC DraneyK GarlandJ HardmanBenjamin Thomas BikmanJeffery S TessemTing ChenTimothy M MooreMark T EbbertNatalie L McVeySteven R MadsenDavid M HallowellAlex M HarrisRyan P MackayRobin E CharChad R HancockJason Merrell HansenJohn Sai Keong KauweDavid Morley ThomsonShalene E HardmanDerrick E HallAlyssa J CabreraChad R HancockDavid Morley ThomsonMichael T. StallingsBrandon R. CardonJeremy M. HardmanTyler A. BlissScott E. BrunsonChris M. HartMaria D. SwissSquire D. HepworthMerrill J ChristensenChad R HancockLaura Clarke BridgewaterJaime L MayoBradley G EvansonMegan E WhittSpencer A DeanJoshua D YatesDevin N HoldenAlina D SchmidtChristopher L FoxSaroj DhunghelKevin S SteedMichael M AdamCaitlin A NicholsSampath K LoganathanJeffery Richard BarrowChad R HancockBradley S HenriksenMary E CurtisNatasha FillmoreBrandon R CardonDavid Morley ThomsonChad R HancockJ. F. MerrillDavid Morley ThomsonS. E. HardmanS. D. HepworthS. WillieChad R HancockKaterhine A EricksonMelissa E SmithTamil S AnthonymuthuEric S BrassfieldBraden J TuckerJohn T PrinceChad R HancockBenjamin Thomas BikmanDong-Ho HanChad R HancockSu Ryun JungKazuhiko HigashidaSang Hyun KimJohn O HolloszyJ D BrownChad R HancockA D MongilloB J BartonR A DigiovanniAllen Clive ParcellWilliam W WinderDavid Morley ThomsonChad R HancockD H HanK HigashidaS H KimJohn O HolloszyDavid Morley ThomsonChad R HancockB G EvansonS G KenneyB B MallanA D MongilloJ D BrownS HepworthN FillmoreAllen Clive ParcellDavid Lee KooymanWilliam W Winder
Jack AllenSavannah PondLaura J JefferiesMichael LarsonChad R HancockSusan FullmerJames Derek LeCheminant
Chad R Hancock
Chandler EyreChad R Hancock
Erik MarchantNathan MarchantRobert HyldahlJayson GiffordMichael SmithChad R Hancock
Erik D MarchantNathan D MarchantRobert D HyldahlJayson R GiffordMichael W SmithChad R Hancock
JacobsenGardnerCamilla HandleyMichael SmithWilliam Allen ChristensenChad R HancockPaule JosephJames Derek LeCheminant