Skip to main content

Adding a Minor


While a minor can enhance a student’s educational experience, it needs to be well-planned in order for the student to graduate in a timely manner. Students who desire a minor should declare it prior to completing 90 BYU credits; otherwise, they will need to petition to add the minor.

Some minors need to be pre-approved by other Advisement Centers before students may declare them (see list below).

Students will need to petition (fill out Part C of form) to add a minor if:

  1. They have over 90 BYU credits (not including language challenge exam credits) OR
  2. They have a double major OR
  3. They have already declared a minor.

How Do I Declare a Minor?

  1. Click the link below to fill out the form (see instructions below).
  2. Print the completed form and turn it into Life Sciences Advisement in 2060 LSB.
  3. You may also pick up a form at Life Sciences Advisement.

Filling out the Minor Request Form:

  1. If you do not need to petition and your desired minor is related (see related minors page) to your major, fill out only Part A.
  2. If you do not need to petition and your desired minor is unrelated to your major, fill out Parts A and B (includes the plan on page 2).
  3. If you are submitting a petition, complete the entire form.
  4. Feel free to call the Advisement Center with any questions.

Access the Minor Request Form
Explore Related Minors

To declare one of the minors listed below please visit the applicable College Advisement Center in addition to filling out the Life Sciences Minor Request Form.

Advertising DesignItalian
AerospaceMedia Arts Studies
ArtMilitary Science
Art EducationMusic
Ballroom DanceSpanish Teaching
Contemporary DanceTheatre Arts Studies
DesignWorld Dance
EditingWriting and Rhetoric
FrenchInternational Cinema Studies
Education/Teaching*Only Education/Teaching majors may declare this as a minor